Friday, January 28, 2011

Freezer meals

I love having 2 freezers. It leaves lots of room for me to make meals for the month as well as having bread, chicken, meat and veggies (and those cookies from my last post)! I'm always looking for new recipe ideas (so if you have any, please send them to me).
I often find some great ones on onceamonthmom.com. they post a monthly menu of breakfasts, lunches and dinners. the recipes are for 2 or 4 times the regular recipe, and they have a schedule for the cooking day. The menu is for 2 families, cook one day, split the meals and feed your family for the month. I have been doing it on my own for awhile now. I don't do all the recipes, but I choose some I think my family would like and make those. I don't always do it all on one day, sometimes I just make extra of what I'm making for dinner and freeze the leftovers. Then on days I work, or am out all day I will pull something out the night before or morning of, throw it in the crock pot or set the timer on the oven. Next month I'm getting together with a friend and we're going to pick 2 meals each, make enough for 4 meals of each recipe, and switch so we've got 4 different meals times 2. (do you understand what I'm trying to say?).

Here's a recipe I tried this month, I wasn't sure we'd like it, but it was good.

Cranberry Chicken and Rice (this makes 2 meals)
6 cups rice, cooked
1 cup apple juice
3 pounds chicken breast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
2 pounds fresh cranberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger

place rice in 8x8 pan, pour juice over rice. nestle chicken in the rice (I used cooked, chopped chicken) sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. (adjustment) chop cranberries, mix the sugar, cinnamon, and ginger sprinkle over cranberries. put cranberries over chicken and rice (next time I think I'll use dried cranberries and reduce the amount of sugar). Freeze. To serve: thaw. uncover and bake at 350F for 50-60 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. (because I used cooked, cubed chicken I cooked for 20-30 minutes). Enjoy!

No comments: