Saturday, April 12, 2008


I am taking time to be grateful for the blessings in my life. At the same time let me share with you the story of Kayla's first day in this world...
As posted, Kayla was born on April 1st. It was a scheaduled c-section, so we had time to get things organized. Ryker spent the day with Grandpa Michel, chasing cows, fixing tractors and loving life. He came to the hospital and was sooo excited to see his new "seester". he wanted to hold her and kiss her and didn't want anyone but mom to see her. It was a blessing for me, as I had been worried about how he would react to her. It has continued to be good. He loves her and does his very best to take care of her and protect her.
After visiting for a little while Chris and Ryker went to dinner with Grandma and Grandpa Zuidhof, then headed home. It was dark (close to 10pm). Chris had called to say goodnight and I turned off my cell phone for the night. Ryker fell asleep watching a movie in the van. Just before Picture Butte Chris says a truck flashed his lights and next thing he knew there was a black cow in front of him on the highway. He didn't even have time to hit the brakes, the cow did it for him. Airbags went off and Chris got out of the van (the smoke/dust/whatever it is from the airbags was overwhelming). He went around to check on Ryker. Ryker woke up when Chris opened the door and since the movie was still playing, continued watching the movie. Chris called 911 and they sent the ambulance/fire trucks/police. (One person that heard the call was confused when they said there was a vehicle vs. cow collision, I can only imagine getting that call). The cow ended up behind the van, dead.
Chris didn't know the number to the unit at the hospital, so he called the ICU (he knew that number from calling me at work). the unit clerk, Mary, came over to tell me that there'd been an accident, but everyone was ok.
They ended up bringing Chris and Ryker to the emergency dept. just to be sure (Chris' neck was bothering him). My nurse was kind enough to wheel me down in the wheelchair so that I could see them (as i couldn't walk that far after surgery earlier that day).
Everyone got a clean bill of health. For this I am very grateful. I know that Heavenly Father was watching over our family that day (and every day). He protected them from what could have been much worse.
We will never forget the day of Kayla's birth for so many reasons!

1 comment:

Sarah C said...

Oh my heck!! Trina said that Chris hit a cow, but I didn't realize how bad it was. I thought it was just going slow and he backed into one or something at the farm. Glad everyone is ok!